Carpal tunnel syndrome is also know as CTS. CTS happens when the median nerve that goes through the carpal tunnel is compressed. The carpal tunnel or carpal canal is the passage way that connects the forearm to the palm. The carpal canal is very narrow, and when any of the tendons that pass through it swells it causes carpal tunnel syndrome. It is very important to recognize the signs of carpal tunnel so you can stop it as early as possible. The main symptoms of CTS are listed below.
1. Being unable to sleep due to numb hands and tingling finger is the most common symptom.
2. Hand pain or wrist pain that interrupts your normal daily activities.
3. Pain or tingling coming from the forearm.
3. Having cold hands but also warm forearms at the same time.
4. Numbness or the loss of feeling in your fingers and thumbs.
5. Tingling or numbness in your index, middle & ring finger.
6. Losing motor skills in your hands.
7. Waking up with numbness or tingling in your wrist or hands.
8. Weakness in your hands or wrist.
9. Your hands keep falling asleep.
10. If you have aching shoulders or neck.
If you have these symptoms or a combination of these symptoms you could be in the early stages of CTS. The early stages of carpal tunnel syndrome can easily be reversed in just a week or two. You can reverse the early stages of CTS with natural and non-invasive treatment. If you have advanced CTS you can still reverse the symptoms, but it could take up to six weeks.
You don’t want to just treat the symptoms, you will want to stop the cause of CTS. Depending on your job or your lifestyle, this can be done very easily. If you do a lot of typing, just take a 15 second break every five minutes. It doesn’t sound like much, but it gives your hands enough time to relax. This can also be applied to any thing else you are doing that is very repetitive. You want to avoid surgeries and drugs if possible. Surgeries can have worse effects over time, and do not always solve the problem with CTS. Taking drugs may help with the pain, but it only mask the pain. Drugs do nothing to help in the long term, and you can become dependant on them.
Carpal tunnel syndrome can be a horrible condition to have, but you can effectively fight it. Reversing the symptoms can be as easy as doing hand exercises or just giving yourself a 15 second break while doing repetitive tasks.