The disease CRPS or Complex Regional Pain Syndrome is the rare disorder of nerves. The symptoms generally cause extreme pain and affected areas are hands, legs, feet and arms. It generally happens after the serious injury to nerves or to tissue of an affected area. This disorder is known as Causalgia. The causes responsible for such disorder are unknown. However, pain quite often spreads to entire leg or arm. There are some changes that are observed in affected areas after the disorder such as dramatic changes in color and also in temperature of skin in the exaggerated limb. Other symptoms also include skin sensitivity, intense burning pain, swelling and sweating. Even though, there are also some theories that are behind the cause of such disorder, authenticity of theories are also questionable. The theory is main cause that is behind sustenance of pain might be considerate nervous system. The next speculation about CPRS cause is that it is caused through triggering of immune response that might leads to inflammation in affected area.
- A burning and painful pain in an affected area such as your leg, foot, hand and arm
- Change in the color of your skin that might turn as white, blue or even red
- The affected area might be also sensitive to temperature and touch
- Change in the texture of skin texture such as too shiny or too thin
- Loss of the movement in the affected region
- Weakness or Muscle pain
Though it is completely rare disorder, many doctors are much familiar. The doctor also makes the diagnoses of physical exam along with the symptoms of pain. The above mentioned symptoms will assist doctor to make correct diagnosis. Though, the disease is also diagnosable, certainly there is no such single test to identify CRPS. For instance, doctor may take the test to check your skin temperature and also blood circulation of a specific area. In such a case diagnose becomes doubtful, hence MRI can help to identify CRPS.
There are mainly 2 two types of CRPS that have completely various causes.
- CRPS Type 1 – This disorder gets triggered by various injuries like ankles that are sprained and fractured. There is generally minimal damage to nerve.
- CRPS Type 2 – This disorder is mainly caused by serious injuries that have nerve damage like operation, broken bone or serious infection.
This disorder is quite rare, but it is usually not eradicated completely. Complex Regional Pain Syndrome seems to be quite common amongst people and especially women between ages of 50 to 70. But, there is also a solution for this disorder. Doctors generally suggest sympathetic block. It mainly involves the injection of anaesthesia that obstructs entire pain signals. Counselling and Physiotherapy may also help at times. In case this disorder gets diagnosed quite early so regular treatments can help to keep pain from recurring. But in case it is diagnosed after some time or if symptoms are quite severe, so there is a possibility that patients might not respond properly to treatments.