Pain relievers are recommended by doctors immediately for migraine or headaches. Many medications are easily available which you can buy even without doctor’s prescription, while other drugs available for headaches need doctor’s prescription. When you buy these headache relievers, try not to buy those having caffeine in them. Overuse of some symptomatic medication can worsen the symptoms of headache or can cause frequent headaches.
Let us look at some tips for using Over-the-counter pain relievers for headaches
Over-the-counter pain relievers are proved to be safe only when used as directed. But remember to take following precautions.
- Make sure you know as which is the active ingredient in the product you are buying. Make sure you read the label thoroughly.
- Avoid exceeding the recommended dosage mentioned on the package.
- Try learning how to use medications and pain relievers.
- Before you use products that consist of naproxen, aspirin, and ibuprofen if you had a surgery recently, have bleeding problem, dental surgery, asthma or going for a surgery, have liver or kidney disorders, ulcers or you are using any other medications.
- Consult your doctor before you take acetaminophen if you are suffering from liver or kidney problem.
- Always store the medicine in a cool and dry place. Keep medicines away from your children.
- Pregnant women or breastfeeding mothers should consult their doctors before they buy any new medicine.
- Older citizens and children should be given medication depending upon their age requirements.
- Always check with your doctor if you have allergy or any chronic illness before you buy any pain reliever.
- Immediately consult your doctor if any problem persists after taking the drugs.
Pain relievers help you get effective results as soon as you experience the signs of migraine. It helps you to rest or get a sound sleep. If taken for a long period of time, these pain relievers often lead to diseases like ulcers, severe headaches cause due to over use of medication and gastrointestinal bleeding.a
Let us look at some side-effects caused due to pain relievers in case of migraine or headache
You can experience problems like stomach upset, sleeping problems, vomiting, nausea, nervousness. If you observe any of such problems or these problems worsen, consult your doctor immediately.
Stop taking the pain relieving drugs immediately as you might experience severe side effects like bloody/black stools, stomach pain, fainting, severe dizziness, hearing loss, change in urine amount, fast or irregular heartbeat, fever, bleeding etc., some other serious symptoms can be itching, rash, breathing problems etc.,
Some rare side-effects of taking pain relievers for migraine are
- Rupture in Intestine or wall of stomach
- Bleeding of stomach or intestines
- Bleeding Anus
- Decreased count of blood platelets
- Decreased in White blood platelets
- Liver failure
- Irregular heart beat
- Burning stomach
- Redness of skin
It is always better to take pain relievers under the guidance of your doctor and don’t over medicate yourself.